The general rules as well as the car rules are developed with the driver’s safety as the number one concern.We do admit that demos are a dangerous sport and T.E. Promotions assumes no liability in the result of injury competing in this event.
1. No getting out of cars until the derby is over.If not observed, all winnings will be forfeited and driver will be disqualified.
2. All cars must be on the grounds one-hour before event to be inspected.Any cars arriving late will not be eligible to compete unless prior arrangements have been made.
3. All cars must be removed by 12:00 noon the following day or they will become the property of the local salvage yard.
4. The driver must be at least 18 years old to drive.Women may compete with the men if they desire.You must be able to prove age upon request to drive, or have a notarized release signed by parent or guardian.Drivers under the age of 18 may compete, but must have a notarized statement from parent or guardian.No one under the age of 15.
5. Approved racing helmets must be worn at all times.Goggles or a face shield, fire suit or long sleeve shirt must be worn.Long pants and shoes or mandatory.If a driver removes his/her helmet while the event is taking place they will forfeit all winnings and be disqualified for the night.
6. Any unsportsmanlike conduct will cause your car to be disqualified.The judge’s decision will be final.
7. No liquor or intoxicating beverages allowed in the pit area.Possession of alcohol in pits could result in disqualification of your car.
8. Drivers meeting will be held one-half hour before the event is to start to explain rules and flags.Any car protest must be made at this time.All drivers must attend.
9. A driver that receives a black flag for sandbagging or an intentional door hit will be disqualified.There will be heat race time limits and sandbagging markings will be used this year.
10. No head on collisions allowed at start, or direct hits to the driver’s door.If door comes open or motor fan is exposed you are disqualified.
11. The purpose of the derby is to provide entertainment for the spectators.Anyone not complying with the rules will be barred from the event.
12. It is mandatory for everyone entering the pits to purchase a pit pass.
13. If your car is found illegal, no entries will be refunded.(Cars should be brought legal).Not having a set of rules is not our fault.The fair board or promoter reserves the right to approve or reject any entries.Cars will be subject to inspection after event.
14. The driver is the only person allowed around the car while their car is being inspected.Cars will be disqualified if rule is not followed.
PREPARATION OF CARS
No welds inside doors or frame.Door plates on inside of door may be welded in place.Drivers’ door may be welded, where no door post is present.No all-thread to fasten the hood or trunk.Insurance prohibits all-thread because fireman cannot get hood open in case of fire.
1. The promoter has the right to approve or reject any entry.Only American made passenger cars can compete.No trucks, vans, ambulances, jeeps, carry-alls, limousines, Chrysler imperials or four-wheel drives.Judges decision is final.Bring title if you think there will be a question.Call if you have any question about wagons.No Chrysler bodies allowed on imperial frames.Mini cars can be any make.No A.M.C. Pacers or Volvo's allowed.
2. Standard safety belts are required.
3. No cutting or reinforcements allowed to the car.Any reinforcements found during inspection will cause the car to be disqualified. No bolting of fender panels together.You can cut fenders or body work for wheel clearance only.If fender wells are cut too much, your car will not run.You cannot screw, weld, bolt, rivet or reinforce in anyway the frame, body, doors, fenders, quarter panels, or leave the rear seats in wagon, braces trunks, etc.Driver door only may be welded solid.all other doors can be welded 5 inches on 5 inches off
4. All cars must have front doors painted white.If door is not white you will run for ½ of the money.No profanity on the car.White cars are to have door outlined.
5. Drivers’ door protection is mandatory.Door plates ¼” in min. thickness 12 in wide running from post to post with bottom edge below drivers’ seat.These plates are to be bolted on with a minimum of 8 ½” bolts if placed on outside of car.Plates or bars can be on inside of door also.The door plate can be made of other construction ideas, but door plate is mandatory.Some cars have inner door plate.
6. Hoods must have a 12” hole cut above the carburetor.The fan blades cannot be exposed with this hole.
The car must have a hood, and at no time can a car compete without a hood in place if fan blade is exposed.A bar is mandatory in the middle of windshield to top of car to prevent the hood from coming in on the driver.
7. Hood must open at time of inspection.Trunks welded solid must have 8/8 inspection hole.
8. A rollover bar may be used.No full cages, absolutely no reinforcement to frame.A four bar interior cage is recommended, this consist of bar along the dash must be 6 inches back from firewall, second bar no more than 6” behind seat, third and fourth bar connecting bars one and two.No floor or frame contact.
9. All glass side and rear windows, plastic grill, headlights, and taillights must be removed before reaching track.Rolling down windows is not permitted.Also all body trim must be removed (all chrome strips).If the car has a plastic grill it must be removed also.
10. Rear seat on sedan and station wagons must be removed.Station wagons must be emptied to the floorboard.All cars must be swept clean.Headliners and carpet must be removed.
11. Gas tanks must be removed from original mounting position and securely mounted in back seat area.Only 6 gallon boat tanks permitted or some tank of similar construction.Tanks must be securely mounted and covered with tin, steel, or a fire blanket.The covering must be of some material that is not flammable.These firewalls will be checked closely.NO MORE THAN 5 GALLONS OF GAS IS ALLOWED IN CAR AT ANY TIME.If electric fuel pump is used it must be wired to the ignition.Fuel lines must be clamped to tank.If fuel line goes through car, it must be enclosed in PVC pipe, so that it is not directly exposed to the driver.Fuel tanks in front of rear axle are ok.
12. Either will not be allowed in the car at any time.
13. Radiators must be left in the stock position.No alterations to front end allowed.You cannot run extra radiators or water supplies.Transmission coolers are allowed.If fan becomes exposed you are disqualified.NOTHING IN FRONT OF THE RADIATOR.
14. Batteries must be moved.You can use 2 batteries, but they must be securely mounted and covered.Battery cannot be in area of gas tank.
15. SUSPENSION:Do not invert shackles with bolts, extra clamps or extra leaf springs. BUMPER HEIGHT MAXIMUM IS 22 INCHES ON A FRESH CAR AND MINIMUM IS 15 INCHES FROM BOTTOM OF THE BUMPER TO GROUND.IF FRAME IS LOWER IN THE BACK THEN THE BUMPER WE WILL MEASURE FROM THE FRAME TO THE GROUND.ON A PRE RAN CAR MAXIMUM IS 24 INCHES FROM BOTTOM OF BUMPER TO GROUND.CAR MUST HAVE SOME BOUNCE, TIRE BOUNCE ONLY IS NOT LEGAL, IT MUST HAVE SOME SUSPENSION TRAVEL.
16. Trailer hitches and brackets of any type must be removed.
17. Engine and transmission may be interchanged.Motor mounts may be welded, but no extra bracing to frame allowed.NO ENGINE CRADLES.
18. You cannot weld leaf springs together.Only one clamp per spring permitted.Bumper shocks can be welded.BUMPERS MUST HAVE A BUMPER SKIN ON THEM. EXTRA METAL CAN BE USED TO BRACE UP BUMPER, BUT IT MUST BE INSIDE OF THE BUMPER SKIN.
19. No valve stem covers permitted on wheels.
20. Driver must stay with car to help pull it off the track.If driver is not present when it comes time to tow it, it will be offered to the local salvage yard.
21. FIRE EXTINGUISHERS ARE MANDATORY.Two fires and you are disqualified.
22. Every car making feature will be re-inspected before feature.
23. Hoods can be wired or chained.They must be secured in the four corners, meaning two by the windshield corners and two by the front - nothing in front of the radiator. Six fasteners total on hood.That’s what we’ll expect -plus 2 other spots in middle to fender to keep from buckling.THEY CAN NOT HAVE ALL THREAD AND BE BOLTED DOWN BY IT.IF YOU HAVE ALL THREAD THAT IS RAN THRU THE HOOD IT CAN'T HAVE A NUT ON IT.
24. Headers are allowed but they must point up.Fire walls must be in all cars in original place.
25. Anything left out of the rules will be left to the decision of the officials.All decisions are final.
26. Body bushings may be removed, but if they are ½ in. gap- with no bigger than 1” washers must be above frame to check seams.No bolts bigger than 1” but no oversize washers and no plates over 1” square.No oversize bolts.No plates or washers on bottom side of frame.Nuts must be inside frame.ALL BODY MOUNT HOLES MUST REMAIN OPEN ON THE BOTTOM OF THE FRAME.
27. No undercoating on frame or fresh paint.
28. FRAMES CAN BE PITCHED, BUT NO EXTRA METAL ADDED. YOU CUT THE FLAP AND WELD IT BACK NO METAL ADDED. IF METAL IS ADDED CAR WILL NOT RUN UNLESS CUT OUT.
29. Officials have the right to drill frames when needed.
30. All inspection holes on frame must be open.
NO HUMP PLATES. IF YOU HAVE HUMP PLATES YOU WILL NOT RUN, UNLESS THEY ARE TOTALLY CUT OFF.